Friday, October 26, 2012

The Move...

Well it is Friday morning, at 6:45am. I am sitting in my office, this office, for the last time.

I’m not leaving the program. It is being relocated three blocks down the street from where we are now. Yesterday I packed up most of my ‘stuff’ for when the movers come by on Saturday. Still, I wanted to come in early today (we usually start around 9’).

Why so early? I don’t know, a lot of reasons I guess.

The first one being to spend some time with our house cat, “Parker” (or Pahhka, she is from Boston, lol). She is actually a neighborhood cat that spends more time with us than she does with her own family. Sometimes she even has slumber parties with those that live in our dorm. Great cat, about 18 pounds and a hunter that quite often brings us her ‘kills.’ Loving & Fierce. I like that.

Another reason is I am going to miss this office. Thirty foot by eight foot with two large windows that open. This time of the year I can glance out every so often to admire the beautiful foliage that lies outside these windows and take a big deep breath and smile.

My new office down the street is twelve by twelve with two small windows that you cannot open set about six feet off the ground. I don’t like change; most people don’t; even times when it can be for something healthier than the present situation they may find themselves in.

I am not looking forward at all to this change. I can take this change as another reason to push ahead with even greater effort on my own plans; teaching, lecturing, getting out on the national scene as a presenter on, “Substance Abuse & Co-Occurring Disorders – A Clinical & Personal Perspective.” I have several other offerings as well. I want to get to a point where I can live part of the year up in Nova Scotia.

Stress can beneficial if it motivates one for ‘change.’

Time to finish packing, get ready for groups, and, oh yea, find “Pahhka!”

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Willy - in my book - change is always good! You may not see the benefit yet but it will come. Good luck in your new place. Give Pahka a new rug to curl up on and get yourself a latte machine or a basket of good teas and enjoy your new crib! And keep writing! Sue

Anonymous said...

I agree Willy, I'm not one for change either... I have fond memories of the building where my sobriety began. I find myself wondering if others have found the same new meaning of life as I have with your help of course. Although, a change of scenery may be beneficial - it's still would have been nice to keep the "ol' office" and Pahka's natural "home"... Good Luck, Good Friend.

Anonymous said...

Change is difficult yet envigorating. Good topic for classes and groups. Perhaps if you leave a note for Parker with a trail of his favorite treats ( it is halloween) he will come visit.

Good luck with the move.
Kathy