Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Success Rates????

I love when I read the Sunday magazine supplements from the Globe and the NY Times and in the back they often have advertisements for "luxury" addiction treatment centers that boast say, 90% success rates.

Being a curious fellow I felt it my obligation to call one posing as a perspective client to inquire about their facility and the purported "success rate."

After some initial questions such as is it true 12 Step meetings are held poolside before the afternoon tennis matches, and, can one schedule a massage after dinner hours; I hit them with the main question I had in mind for the phone call in the first place.

I read that you have a 90% success rate, that is fantastic I must say! I am curious though, how did you arrive at that number?

Well, we call past clients periodically that have attended our program;

Oh, how soon after they leave your program do you call them;

that varies, sometimes a week or two, maybe several months.

I see. You must get people that do not respond to your phone calls, how do they fiqure into your numbers;

we don't include them.

Interesting...

The person on the other end of the phone is beginning to suspect the reason for my call so it abruptly ends.

I am a bit perplexed by those that would send their loved ones to such a facility.

So let me get this straight, your 'loved one' that when they were using stole everything from you such as money, jewelry, your sanity (if you were not getting help for yourself) and you are going to secure a second mortgage on your home to finance having them go to a luxury treatment center that boasts a "90% success rate?"

Jesus, what would you do if they burned your house down and kidnapped your dog for ransom, send them on a three month European vacation?

I mean come on, really?

There are other options that are more cost effective. My next blog will talk about those options in depth.

There is a program in our area that charges $52,500.00 for a month.

Be my guest...



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Don't these facilities need to be approved and watched over by a particular "group"...I mean, really, they're all over the place; who/what would you suggest? LynOfGreenwich

Willy Drinkwater said...

Unfortunately Lyn, the situation is one of 'caveat emptor.' My suggestion is when looking at their website see if they list their staff (the whole therapeutic staff). While this in and of itself is not a guarantee by any means, I have found that those who do not do this may be running with 'nubies' in the field in order to maximize profit - to the detriment of the consumer. Look for substance, not image. If all else fails, call or email me, lol (no, really).