Monday, March 5, 2012

Don't Want To Get Them In Trouble?????

You know, I have heard this story before. Fortunately not that often. A student in a class that I currently teach came up to me during a break obviously feeling bothered by something.

The student stated they did not know what to do after hearing a couple of counselors where they are interning discussing two of their clients that had tested positive on their random urine tox screens.

Seems these two counselors were not going to notify the probation officers involved because they did not want to get the two of them in trouble.

The counselors would get them in trouble? Here is a reality check: ah, they got Themselves Into Trouble!

I question whether these 'two' counselors are getting adequate supervision. They need to be taught about external versus internal thinking.

These clients are now being enabled by their counselors to continue using without consequences for their actions.

Will the clients benefit from the counselors actions (or inactions in this case) no, definitely not.

While reporting them may seem punitive, the reality is the true punitive action is the drug(s)continuing to run their lives for them.

Reminds me of several instances where I have had patients screaming at me, "why are you throwing me out of the program!"

I'm throwing you out of the program? Hey, take ownership of the fact that you "threw youself out." You knew what the rules were. I'm not here to pay your consequences.

No comments: