Monday, September 7, 2015

What Stigma?????





I can remember growing up in the sixties in an extremely affluent town in Connecticut. There were no alcoholics - only problem drinkers or those who could not hold their liquor. A sign of the times I guess, the country club attitude, or perhaps a combination of both. If you had a loved one with a mental health issue they were just “eccentric” Un-huh, that’s why every spring when they would go off their meds then run through the streets naked. Just eccentric.

No alcoholics, No mental health issues – therefore, no stigma.

God forbid, if you had a loved one that died of cirrhosis from alcoholism in those days. You begged the doctor to put anything down on the death certificate but that! Maybe call it a heart attack or some incurable disease.

As if your neighbors and friends did not know the truth. It was just not discussed. Well openly anyway.

Zoom ahead to now. Addiction is more openly discussed in families and social settings than ever before. Yet at times one can see that stigma is still prevalent and often ignored or downplayed. How else can one explain that up until a few years ago if a person was civilly committed in Massachusetts (Section 35) for mandated addiction treatment they would be sent to a correctional facility? That’s right a correctional facility, not a treatment facility.

I am glad to see that this ‘stigma’ piece has changed.

There are still those in our society that mumble, ‘you know those people want to be that way.’ I always find it interesting when these people change that attitude when it is a member of ‘their’ family is suddenly having an addiction issue. I guess it is just not the same thing.

Those people want to be that way? You know, I have yet to see it on a resume, ‘Professional Addict/Alcoholic.’ Yea I’m sure when they were growing up they were thinking, ‘you know, someday I want to become an addict/alcoholic; homeless, jobless, walking the streets, drinking a half-gallon of vodka a day.’ Yup, that’s what I want to do.

People who make those types of statements show their ignorance, they are part of the problem – not the solution.

There are other areas of mental health often times shrouded in stigma and secrecy. Why else would a family not talk about ‘Uncle Tony’ who has not worked in two years due to his depression, or, no one talks about the times when Grandma would make everyone a Sunday morning breakfast clothed only in an apron because she was in a full-blown episode of mania.

In the case of depression, one might hear encouraging words from family such as: ‘what do you have to be depressed about, just pick yourself up by the bootstraps, you know if you only had a job...

Gee, those motivating statements should do the trick. I do not understand how ‘putdowns’ of that type can be considered motivating. Yet I will hear family members say these statements during a meeting with their loved one.. Can someone explain to me how that works?

Yet these are statements that patients/clients tell me they can go through on a daily basis. There are support groups for the friends and families of those with addiction and/or other mental health issues.

Often times the patients/clients I work with tell me their families are not willing to attend such groups to learn about their illnesses due to the beliefs I stated previously.

The suggestion I make to them in that case is, look directly at them and say something to the effect, ‘you say you love me, and that you care about me, yet you won’t attend a group to learn about my illness…’ Some fellow therapists have told me this is unethical for me to suggest – so be it. I advocate for my patients/clients, bottom line.

We need to continue to have dialogue and education on addiction and mental health issues; we need to do away with ‘blanket’ statements that allow us to turn our heads away from those that are in need. We “all” need to be part of the ongoing solutions.

There is no place for ignorance and stigma if we truly care about our fellow human beings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Read! Might I add section 37 allows the sectioned to enter a safe, healthy legitimate rehabilitation detox faculty, as I understand it. Hopefully THAT info. Helps to get folks into the addiction treatment most necessary for recovery.

Unknown said...

it is a section 35 for treatment at a substance abuse facility
there is also a section 12 for treatment at a mental health facility

Anonymous said...

I actually had my sister sectioned by a judge at East Boston District Court. My sister did well for a few years. She eventually succumbed to her SUD.