Sunday, September 22, 2013

Back to Teaching, YES!


A couple of Wednesdays ago I returned to UMASS-Boston to start the Fall semester. Out of all the modalities within the addiction/psych field that I am engaged in, this is far and away my favorite.

My students range in age from 18-88 (really, 88!) My Wednesday class is a practicum class in which I have five students. We meet every other week. In class they will present weekly from the journals that they keep what they have been encountering and participating in at their practicum sites. I will also call their site supervisors from time to time to get their 'read' on how the student is progressing. This class is usually one that they take towards the end of the program.

When I arrive to the campus I usually will head over to the student union building hit the cafeteria, grab a large ice tea with lemon, then head over to my 'perch.'
This seat at a high-top table looks out over the main drive through the campus and out at Dorchester Bay. Here I will look over the material one last time before I present that evening. If you had told me twenty-seven years ago that one day I would be an educator, I would have laughed at you. I was still on the Boston Comedy scene. Comedy writer by morning at WBCN, stand-up comedian by night all over town.
In December of 85' I guess you could say I decided I had had enough of the 'party' scene in Boston and the price I was paying because of it in all areas of my life. People who know me understand what I am saying. Another spot on the campus that I like to hit if I arrive early enough are these three trees where there is a concrete bench that overlooks the bay. Just a really nice contemplative spot that I enjoy.
Hmm, 'three' trees, sort of reminds me of 'Father, Son, Holy Ghost,' or, 'Baby, Adult, Old Age.' Guess I have been reading too much Joseph Campbell again and his fascination with three's, lol. I highly recommend the book, "The Power of Myth" as a primer to this remarkable man. Well, time for me to get some other 'work' done so I will leave you with this final shot from the campus. I wish you all smooth sailing.

No comments: